Kratos Analytical is a world leading home of both imaging X-ray photoelectron spectrometers and MALDI (Matrix Assisted Laser Desorption and Ionisation) instruments. We are based in Manchester in England's North West and are proud to develop, manufacture and support these products from our Manchester, UK facility. The qualities that our customers expect from Kratos products are also the qualities that Kratos expect from its employees.
We current have the following vacancies; Software engineer, MALDI Applications Specialist and an Electronics Design Engineer. Please see below for further descriptions.
We are currently seeking a Software Engineer with proven expertise to join our Software team. The successful candidate will be responsible to the Software Manager for the development of bespoke solutions for both MALDI and Surface Analysis products.
- BSc in Computer Science or a related degree.
- Extensive experiences in software development, full stack development, computer languages and project management.
- Experience using system monitoring tools, profiling tools and continuous integration tools.
- Knowledge of selected programming languages, frameworks and methodologies C#, PRISM, MongoDB, SQL, MVVM and WPF.
- In-depth knowledge of relational databases such as SQL and NoSQL databases such as MongoDB.
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent organisational and leadership skills.
- Peer group approval of source code (code reviews).
- Develop high-quality software design and architecture.
- Identify, prioritise and execute tasks in the software development life cycle.
- Develop tools and applications by producing clean, efficient code.
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting.
- Review and debug code.
- Collaborate with internal teams and vendors to fix and improve products.
- Document development phases and monitor systems.
- Engineering specification of new designs, managing detailed documentation.
- Evaluate new tools and technologies which can be used in software development.
- Provide software support to internal and external customers.
- Working with the Kratos quality system ensuring that the software process is followed.
- Ensuring the company health and safety procedures are adhered to.
- Working with the company quality system.
- Engineering specifications of new designs.
- Detailed design and associated documentation, design specifications, coding.
- Managing the DCR system when raised and tracking the issues using JIRA.
- Evaluation and testing of prototype software.
- Providing technical assistance and advice to colleagues as required.
- Managing the software release process, creating parts and updating BOMs.
- Perform full software testing and software unit testing to ensure quality of your design and source code.
- Liaise with test engineers, communicating the requirements and design to ensure full test coverage.
- To be aware of trends in our industrial discipline in MALDI-MS and Surface Analytical.
- Must attend all stand-up and sprint meetings.
- Must log all work to each Jira Task and intranet time log system.
Health and Safety Responsibilities Include
- Being familiar with the Safety Policy implementing it at all times.
- Developing a concern for safety personally and for others, particularly new employees.
- Co-operating with us in maintaining a safe working environment and making your contribution to reducing hazards.
- Taking care of property entrusted to you, refraining from the abuse of welfare facilities and equipment.
- Operating equipment and tools with which you are trained to use.
- Using only the correct tools and equipment for the job. Using the safety equipment and protective clothing (P.P.E) which is made available and issued when required.
- Keeping tools and equipment in good condition.
- Reporting to your line manager any defects in plant or equipment. Ensuring that plant and equipment is in safe and secure state when unattended.
- Reporting any industrial injury, industrial disease, or any incidents which could result in personal injury or property damage to your manager.
- Comply with any risk assessments which have been undertaken.
- Obeying our safety rules and setting a personal example.
We are currently seeking a MALDI Applications Specialist with proven Imaging expertise to join our Applications and Sales team.
- Performing instrument demonstrations and customer sample analyses.
- Producing technical and application notes to support instrument promotion and sales.
- Representing the company externally in supporting company products with technical presentations and attendance at key conferences and seminars.
- Identifying, developing and implementing analytical methods for specific applications for supporting the Sales and Marketing team and to contribute to external publications.
- Producing user requirements for software projects and ensuring they are adhered to, in collaboration with R&D Manager.
- Must be willing to travel internationally.
Please highlight your experience in the field of MALDI Imaging in your application as this will be a key responsibility for the successful candidate.
We do not currently sponsor visa applications therefore candidates must have the independent right to work in the UK.
We are currently seeking an Electronics Design Engineer to work within Kratos' R&D Department at our Manchester, UK headquarters.
Summary of job
This position reports to the Senior Manager Electronics. The role is based in the company's R & D Department and focuses on the development of new, sophisticated, electronic systems & subsystems. Working shoulder to shoulder with enthusiastic Physicists, Software and Mechanical Engineers, the work will encompass the full product life cycle from system design specifications through to manufacture.
- Peer group approval of design documentation, PCB layouts and PLD/FPGA code before release.
- Rework of production material if approved.
- Requisition of components for prototypes.
- Responsible to Senior Manager Electronics for specific parts of product design and working to the current Kratos quality system.
- Ensure the company health and safety procedures are adhered to all the time, only operating equipment for which you are suitably qualified or have received suitable training.
- Production of the specifications for new designs.
- Detailed design and associated documentation (schematics, PCB layouts and PLD/FPGA configurations).
- Provide the Senior Manager Electronics and/or R&D Manager with as accurate as possible, estimates of timescales for designs.
- Use the Management Information Systems for creating and controlling bills of materials, drawing numbers and bought out parts.
- Raising Manufacturing Change Notes for design changes and enhancements.
- Raising permits and concessions as appropriate to allow production to continue.
- The implementation of approved changes to the design.
- Liaison with new and old suppliers both on and off site.
- Liaison with Fitters and Test Engineers.
- Building prototype assemblies.
- Meet appropriate company, national and international standards in product design, e.g. ISO61010, ISO13485, 21CFR820 etc..
- To keep up to date with available third party components.
- To keep up to date with design techniques of analogue and digital circuits as well as PLD/FPGA design. To raise Design Change Requests whenever problems or opportunities arise.
- Evaluation and testing of prototype designs.
- Investigation of problems found on existing designs in engineering, test and from field failures.
- Provide support to the Purchasing team to evaluate new and existing suppliers.
- Providing technical assistance and advice to colleagues as required.
BSc/BEng degree in Electronics (or equivalent experience/competences) is essential.
- Experience in the development of XPS or MALDI Mass Spectrometer instruments, (or similar scientific or medical devices) to FDA (where applicable) and other requirements with demonstrable experience of at least 5 years. (desirable)
- Experience designing both digital and analogue electronics, preferably including FPGA design skills. (essential)
- Experienced with simulation, design verification. (essential)
- Experience in design for volume manufacture. (essential)
- Experience of designing for EMC, RoHS and UL approved products is a benefit. (desirable)
- Experience with component/product risk assessment and FMEA. (desirable)
Job Related Aptitude and Skills
- Good all round electronics design skills and experience; designing embedded FPGA control and acquisition systems will be considered an advantage. (essential)
- Digital and analogue design skills. (essential)
- Schematic Capture and PCB Design – “Cadstar” preferred. (essential)
- HV design knowledge is an advantage. (desirable)
- C firmware design – Xilinx “Microblaze” experience an advantage. (desirable)
- Good team player. (essential)
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status, or a willingness to work towards professional registration, would be an asset. (desirable)
The position is open to internal and external applicants. Please note that we do not currently sponsor visa applications therefore candidates must have the independent right to work in the UK.To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter to Laura Chapman, HR Administrator in the first instance.